Friday, January 25, 2008

Goji Berries

http://livesuperfoods.com/LSF001.html?gclid=CJaHmeGlkpECFScXagodTir7OQ
This is the website that I get mine from because they are first off American approved organic and no added sugar. I use them to get off sugar and then just add them to my salads… they are amazing, have carbs but digest slow and are a miracle food, more in the category of medicine than food. Go to this website to learn about them if you haven’t heard of them, they are amazingly good for you and I think they taste great. Haven’t heard of a low carber talk about them so if you’d like to share with me I would love to hear from you.


1/25/08
Today’s Carb News Study from My readings:
From Sugar Shock
Explore the possibility that some of you baffling, unexplained maladies might be related to your eating patterns.
Are you buffeted about by wildly fluctuating mood swings, panic attacks, angry outburst, and sobbing spells that make your sweetheart throw his or her hands up in puzzlement and eventual disgust? (husband said to me last night, why are you so mean) ugh
Are you bewildered by overpowering exhaustion, fuzzy thinking, incapacitating blues, aching eyeballs, rapid heartbeat, unbearable migraines, and sever PMS? (definitely exhaustion, rapid heartbeat and getting headaches which I’ve never had ever, oh and once a month I want a divorce (smiles)
Are you engaged in a seemingly endless battle of the bulge – but nonetheless always make room for dessert foods or quickie-carb snacks? (battle of the bulge hello!)
Are you “hooked” on chocolate, chips, or pasta-even identifying with people who can’t go a single day without cigarettes, booze, or drugs? (yeah, that’s me)
So is ¼ to ½ of Americans who have difficulties processing sweets and refined carbs.
Mild hypoglycemia can cause nausea, a jittery or nervous feeling, cold and clammy skin, and a rapid heartbeat.
Moderate hypoglycemia often makes you feel irritable, anxious, or confused. You may have blurred vision, feel unsteady, and have difficulty walking.
Severe hypoglycemia can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, and coma and may be fatal.
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/diabetes/blood-sugar/hypoglycemia/symptoms
Sounds like fun doesn’t it? Since I have been doing low carb for over 100 days with slips in the sugar a lot of this has been better. 1st thing I really discovered was my mental clarity. Like I just wanted to ‘not be here anymore feeling’ went away within 3 days. My fatigue is much, much, much better but yet I am still not where I want to be with it.
The reason I am writing about this issue is that most of hypoglycemia’s are not obese so that I find really interesting. Mine has just turned the corner a year or two years ago. Which means 20-30 pounds over your ideal weight. Which a lot of people don’t know that is what is classified as obese, morbid obesity is 100 pounds over your ideal weight. So much to take in – and for the most part I don’t want to deal with it. But my life got so out of control for me that this is the way I am digging my way out.
This book Sugar Shock is so good, wow, I am really excited, would be better if I didn’t have my headache but hey 3 days won’t be too bad to get my last sugar binge out.
OK moving on
‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ most, most, most amazing book, her is a Youtube link that I love… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQGRJqGQTs
Give it a look, I’ve got a lot of stuff on him, amazing researcher.
Anyway, one of my favorite quotes in the book so far is:

‘It is easy to insist, as public-health authorities inevitably have, that calories count and obesity much be caused by overeating or sedentary behavior, but it tells us remarkably little about the underlying process of weight regulation and obesity. To attribute obesity to ‘overeating,’ as the Harvard nutritionist jean Mayer suggested back in 1968 is a meaningful as to account for alcoholism by ascribing it to over-drinking.’
Totally brilliant. Hope you are enjoying this information as much as I am…
One of my daughters and her boyfriend are coming over for a walk and dinner, she got me new rain boots so excited to try them out, cause it is stromin’ here. We are having Steak and salad, yummy!
Peace and Joy

Some info on Goji:
In addition to LBP, the fruit contains a full complement of other nutrients:
18 amino acids, including the 8 essential ones
More antioxidant carotenoids than are found in any other known food, including more beta carotene than carrots, and zeaxanthin (which protects the eyes)
Nearly as much protein as bee pollen
21 trace minerals, including germanium, an anti-cancer substance rarely found in foods
Vitamins B1, B2, and B6, and vitamin E
Research validates a broad range of beneficial effects from using goji berries:
Strengthens the immune system
Increases longevity and protects from premature aging
Helps prevent cancer and aids remission
Protects the liver
Builds strong blood and promotes cardiovascular health
Supports eye health and improves vision
Maintains healthy blood pressure and blood sugar
Stimulates secretion of human growth hormone
Strengthens muscles and bones
Supports normal kidney function
Improves fertility and treats sexual dysfunction
Helps reduce obesity
Goji berry is also widely used to reduce the craving for sugar. It is especially useful for hypoglycemic people and for hyperactive children. In addition, goji berry exhibits potent antioxidant activity and contains one of the highest concentrations of beta-carotene of any known food. In Asia, it has been traditionally regarded as a longevity, strength-building, and sexual potency food of the highest order, widely believed to increase sexual fluids and enhance fertility.
In ancient times, people in China used goji berries to make tea, soup, stew, and wine, and chewed the dried fruit like raisins. These delicious fruits are still a main diet staple of many of the longest-living people on earth, including the Hunza of the Himalayas, who have regularly lived beyond 100 years of age. They are also used in many herbal formulas to maintain overall health during a wide variety of chronic conditions.
According to the principles of Chinese medicine, goji berry is a tonic, to be used to nourish and support the body whenever it suffers from illness or weakness. It can, however, be taken on a daily basis for general health. And with over 15% protein, 21 essential minerals, and 18 amino acids, it is a nutrient-dense superfood in a class all its own.
Our goji berries are USDA certified to ensure that no preservatives or artificial colors are added, and that they aren't smoked with sulfur, like some in Chinese stores.

5 comments:

Vegan.Bohemian said...

I've heard good things about these before, and have been DYING to try them. I may just give in and order some soon :) The only thing that worries me is that they're high in carbs so I'll really have to watch how much I eat and weigh them out. They look yummy though :)

Froilee said...

yeah, but the burn differently than a carb that is the weird thing they act like a fiber instead, and yes easy to overeat, but hey it is better than candy which is what I would be eating... thanks for reading my blog really means a lot to me... love you so.

Cedar Acre Lady said...

Hey girlie, I hope you enjoy "Sugar Shock" as much as I did. I tried those Goji berries and yuck..........oh wait, maybe it was acai berries I didn't like. My big carb splurge right now is Hood LC milk with some Fiber one or a greek yogart and only at bed time. Make sure and read the book "Potatoes not Prozac". I am sure your library has it and you will understand how important the little bit higher carb night snack idea.

Cathy Mena said...

Local harvesters are careful to recognize the Goji berry from its distantly associated offspring, the Chinese Wolfberry (Lycium barbarum), mentioning that whilst the latter developed over eras from the Tibetan Lycium berry varieties, its nutrient makeup differs considerably, same as the regions and conditions within which the two of these different berries are growing.Goji

Unknown said...

Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr God hands whom god has bleesed with ancestral herbs gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... so i make a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have being watching my health for 6 years now and I actually comfirmed that his herbal medicines are permamnent cure and I'm so happy that i came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr God hands Email: doctorgodhands@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2349057214220. if you gone through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.